The Gut-Loving Loaf of Bread
By our nutritional therapist Doris Rabe
High in protein, gluten-free and vegan, very high in fiber, easy and very yummy!
1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds
½ cup / 90g flax seeds
½ cup / 65g hazelnuts or almonds (cashew nuts work as well)
1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 ½ cups / 350ml water
– In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, stirring well.
– Whisk melted coconut oil, maple syrup or honey and the water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick. If the dough is too thick to stir, add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
– Transfer mixture to a loaf pan (oiled or lined with baking parchment) and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let rest for a least 2 hours, or all day or overnight.
– Preheat oven to 175C.
– Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. You know the bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
– Let cool completely before slicing – very important!
– Bread can be stored in an tightly sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze half of the bread: slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
Play around with the ingredients – try a mixture of different nuts, add spices such as cinnamon or for something more savoury add fennel seeds, cumin, paprika or mixed herbs. If you don’t have oats, try rolled spelt.
Psyllium seed husks contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. The soluble fiber dissolves in water and soothes the digestive tract with its mucilaginous properties, while the insoluble fiber acts like a broom to sweep the colon free of toxins. You can take it anytime – many people find that a daily dose of a teaspoon or two in a glass of water really helps them get their bowels moving, (or slow them down if necessary). Don’t forget to up your intake of water!